Well it is Wales, of course the grounds wet.
Fortress' O.D. 'scratch built'.
The clincher was when I searched the web for model B17's, and saw their flying weights, that had to be a challenge, I felt sure I could build a hell of a lot lighter than most of them.
Also I wanted to try out a different wing construction method. The bigger Spitfire I built was white foam covered in glass cloth and epoxy resin. This time I wanted to try just white foam with strengthening spars and just tissue covering using thinned PVA. Seems to have worked.
The fuz and tail feathers are all balsa construction, except for the cockpit, nose, and the tail cone, they're blue foam.
The 'Liberty Belle' nose art just happened to be one I
liked, I know this model isn't the actual scale Liberty
Belle and no disrepect was intended. Remember I don't do
'scale', just models I like.
When it came to the motor connections and power, I tried
to come up with the best compromise between power and
economy, I think it has worked Ok. There are two
ESC's, one for the inners pair on a 7 cell pack, and one
for the outers pair, again on a 7 cell pack. Each pair of
motors are connected in parallel and are independant of
each other and turn APCe 9x6 props.
Weight - 'Weight' and see. Should be around 11lbs flying. (Was actually 12lb 1oz) Now 10lb 2oz
Chaging from brushed and
geared with Nimh, to brushless and Lipo, saved almost
2lbs. Well worth it.